The La Mariposa PTA is serious about how we spend our money. The information in this section illustrates the huge impact our money makes on our children's educational experiences.
It is important that our spending is...
It is not good enough to spend money for the sake of spending it in the name of PTA Programs. Finding and creating the best Hands on, High Impact Educational Tools and Experiences is our #1 Priority. We are continually improving this process and ask for your participation. We will achieve the best results by working together:
- Turn in Surveys. We use the School Climate Survey when fine tuning our Budget line items and deciding what kind of big ticket items to purchase.
- Staff WISHLIST. We ask our staff and administrators to keep an ongoing wishlist of the big things (and the little things) that make learning unforgettable.
- Come to meetings. This is when we make our decisions...be a part of the discussion.
- Contact us. If you have ideas or know of programs or tools we can implement please let us know.
We have a comprehensive plan for making sure we are getting our money where it needs to go when it needs to go there:
We've worked hard
over the last few years to save money, building a foundation of
carryover money to begin each new school year with. This foundation
allows us a stress free start of the year and guarantees that we are
spending 95-100% of our money in the year it is earned.
planning starts in June. The new executive board evaluates the
previous year's budget and sets a loose guideline to start the following
- In August we approve the budget at the first PTA Meeting.
October, following Jog-a-thon we have a clear idea of how much money we
are working with for the year. We adjust our budget at this time and
start approving expenditures from the Staff WISHLIST.
the Dinner Dance in March we allocate the special funds raised
specifically by that fundraiser (determined by parent survey and staff input). We also take a good look our budget
progress and make any necessary reallocations.
May most of our money is spent or spoken for.
This is when we make encumbrances for the following year and spend
anything that may have slipped through the cracks.
You should be able to see everything we are spending. Budget reports, transaction reports, and semi-annual audits are presented at meetings and are available to members on request. We are all accountable to each other.