Walk or Wheel Wednesday
Every Wednesday Walk or Wheel to School!
Why walk or bike to school?
- Enhance the Health of our Kids: Physical activity recommendations for children suggest that they need a variety of activities each day-some intense, some less-so, some informal, some structured. Walking or cycling to and from school is an ideal way to get some of that activity at no extra cost to the child or family.
- Improve Air Quality: Just think of your car idling in that car line...when children decide to lace-up their sneakers to walk, or strap on their bike helmets to pedal to school instead of riding in a car, they reduce the amount of air pollutants emitted by automobiles.
- Increase Safety: Fewer drivers means less traffic entering and exiting our parking lot and surrounding streets and safer routes for our kids.
- Increase Attention Span and Academic Success: A recent study conducted at the University of Illinois showed improvements in attention span leading to better comprehension and test scores (up to a full letter grade) after just 20 minutes of walking. Read more on this study.
- Spend Quality Time with Your Kids and Neighbors: Walking children to school gives parents the opportunity to talk with them in a casual setting. Walking home with them gives them a chance to decompress by sharing their day with you. Walking also allows your family to be social with your neighbors, strengthening community bonds.
Can't walk everyday?
Start a neighborhood walking/riding group (much like a carpool). Parents can take turns walking/riding small groups of kids to and from school. Use this Route and Service Map for safe routes and easy boundaries for organizing kids...and if you live in the blue region drop Kamala an email and we'll get something organized with my family!