• Medication at School Guidelines and Procedures

    Any student who is required to take medication prescribed by his/her California physician during the regular school day may be assisted by the school nurse or other designated school personnel.  Medication may include substances dispensed in  United States by prescription as well as substances that do not require a prescription, such as over-the-counter remedies, nutritional supplements, and herbal remedies (essential oils). 
    (California Education Code 49423(b); 5 CCR 601)
    The following is information pertaining to medication needs of students.  Follow these guidelines to determine need for administration of medication during school hours.  If your child should need to take medication during school hours, an  Authorization for any Medication Taken During School Hours (SFA-5010 3/14) must be submitted.  The medication form is valid only for the current school year or as designated in the Individualized Education Program (IEP) for Special Education students.  All medication should be delivered to and from the school by the student’s parent or guardian in the original pharmacy-labeled or manufacturer’s container.  If you have any questions please call the Health Services Department at 805-445-8650.


    1.  Short term administration of medicine dose time can be modified within doctors orders, enabling students to take their medicines before school, after school and at bedtime rather than during school hours.  Examples are:  antibiotics, eye or ear drops, and cough syrup or cough drops.

    2.   If there is a need to take routine mid-day medicine on a temporary basis either prescription or non-prescription, parent/guardian may bring the medicine to school and administer it to their own child via the health office.  If this is not possible, follow the procedure outlined in #3.

    3.   For those pupils whose condition is long term and need prescription or non-prescription medication in order to stay in school; or who may need medicine only on the appearance of symptoms (short term); or those students who need emergency medications or for students who are confined at school during a disaster and need medications (those medications that are regularly taken at home), the following regulations will be followed:
            Per California Education Code Sections 49423, 49423.1; 5 CCR 601, any pupil who is required to take, during the regular school day, medication prescribed by his/her California physician, maybe assisted by designated school personnel, if the school district received an Authorization for any Medication Taken During School Hours, SFA-5010 Rev. 3/14
    •  Section I:  Completed by the parent or guardian of the pupil indicating the desire that the school district assist the pupil in matters set forth in the physician's statement. 
    •  Section II:  Completed by the supervising physician detailing the diagnosis, name of the medication (one medication per form), dosage, and time schedules by which such medication is to be taken, and


    Per California Code of Regulations, Title 5, 600-611:  All Medication Should Be Adequately Labeled And Prepared In Sealed Container By Pharmacist Or Physician.  Request pharmacist put the prescription in two separate containers if the medication(s) is to be used both at home and at school.

    Health Conditions that may require additional forms to be completed by parent/guardian and health care provider:
                   Asthma          Medication Authorization Form
                                        Asthma Emergency Care Plan
                                        Student Agreement for the Management of Asthma During School Hours  
                 Anaphylaxis       Medication Authorization Form  
                                         Treatment Plan for Anaphylaxis Emergencies  
    Parent and Staff Resource:
    No Drugs Down the Drain:  Unused or expired medication should be taken to the Camarillo Police Station, 3701 E. Las Posas Road, Monday through Friday 8 a.m. - 5 p.m.  Please keep all medication in the original securely sealed container or use a Ziploc.  For privacy, please remove labels including patient's name, drug name, and other personnel information.  If you have any questions, please call the City of Camarillo at 805-388-5392.  For other location to dispose of medication to go http://www.nodrugsdownthedrain.org/NoDrugs/