What is Happening at Our Schools
Camarillo Heights STEM Academy backCHS has student leaders creating a weekly wellness message segment for morning announcements using video. This video is shown both in classrooms and posted on our website YouTube link for families to view as well.Teaching the Seven Habits of Happy Kids, a social emotional/leadership program to develop the whole child.Dos Caminos School back
La Mariposa School back
- Wellness Wednesday messages
- Classroom garden box for every classroom.
- Implementation of hand-sanitizing stations at lunch and recess
- Classrooms following district guidelines for healthy eating and alternatives to sugary foods and class parties
- Physical Education Program
- TK/K/1--Music and Movement program every week, plus Motor Lab each week
- 4th & 5th--PE class each week with PE teacher including physical fitness activities implemented by teacher
- All grades: use of technology based programs to do physical fitness activities inside the classroom and the MPR such as GoNoodle.com and various Nintendo Wii games (Get Fit, Let's Dance, Zumba for Kids)
- School recycling program: recycling plastic bottles (teaching the importance of drinking water and how recycling can improve the health of our earth)
- Outdoor Classroom a space outside with "tree-stump" chairs to hold classroom lessons outside based on the philosophy of getting students outside more!
Las Colinas Middle School back
Intramural sport program (Soccer, Basketball, Kickball)
- PTA / Volunteer school gardening program
- School wide recycling program
- Healthy choice focus for Red Ribbon Week
- PE for Grades K-5
- Tiger Olympics - Three day activity and wellness event for the entire school
- At least one all-school assembly per year with a health focus
- 4th and 5th grade cross country team
Wellness Wed announcements
PVSD nutrition program
Las Posas School back
Access to school counselor
Los Primeros School of Sciences & Arts back
- Student Gardens
- Kindergarten: Motor Skills Lab
- Weekly Wellness Wednesday messages
- Second Step program in K & 1st Grade
- 5th Graders: Zumba
1. Runners Club on Fridays at lunch – Students try to run a marathon at school throughout the year
2. Student Gardens Boxes and Composting – Farm to Table… and Outdoor Classroom
3. Rotary Track Meet and Bananarama 5K Run
4. Middle School Sports League – Volleyball, Flag Football, Soccer, Basketball, adding Boys Volleyball this spring
5. Jog-a-thon -
6. Walk or Bike to School Day - was a huge success!!
7. Wellness Wednesday Messages each weekMonte Vista Middle School back
Pleasant Valley School of Engineering & Arts back
- Healthy snack options and water sold by ASB that conform to all guidelines from D.O.
- Intramural at lunch (multiple sports) throughout the school year
- Boys and girls athletic teams, including basketball, soccer, flag football, cross country, cheer and volleyball
- Annual Field Hockey Tournament at Moorpark for grades 6-8
- Weekly Wellness Wednesday announcements over the P.A.
- 100 mile challenge in P.E. (Walk, run, and or bike at least 100 miles during a school year)
- Embedded health instruction units in PE
- Yoga club after school on Thursdays
- Agriculture class with a unit focused on farm to table concept
- Tobacco Use Prevention (TUPE) club – meets weekly
Rancho Rosal School back
- Wellness Wednesday message into our news show
- PE specialist for grades 4 & 5
- After school league sports
- Hand sanitizing station at the lunch shelters
- Go Noodle in several classrooms
- Outside garden boxes for students to grow fruits and vegetable
Santa Rosa Technology Magnet School back
- We have been doing our Wellness Wednesday message each Wednesday morning.
- Many of our staff also use “Brain Breaks” throughout the day during their instructional time.
- Many teachers have also added walk/jog to their daily routines, having their classes run a couple of laps for cardio work.
- We also started a recycling program right before the holidays, and that is going well, too.
- Our 2nd grade team was just awarded a nice Garden Club grant, and they are in the process of working on a great unit that uses our raised planter boxes in the back of the school, which have been dormant for some time. They will also be collaborating with another grade level on doing writing and observations for plant life cycles.
Tierra Linda School back
Excellent salad/fruit bar and amazing food that is prepared fresh each day
K-5 PE program
6-8 PE program
Intramural sports during lunch
- APEX Fun Run
- Rams-NFL Play 60 Assembly (Nov 2017) - It focuses on healthy choices
After school sports program/Camarillo Independent Sports League
Fitness based fundraisers
Movement brain breaks in class using Just Dance and GoNoodle
- Weakly Wellness messages
- Using photos of students with healthy food choices on Tierra Linda social media sites such as Twitter and Facebook
- Revamping of Life Lab garden area to include greenhouse and citrus trees
- Junior Optimist participation in Noontime optimist Walkathon